More than 200 guests gathered on March 15, 2015 at Cleveland’s West Side Hungarian Reformed Church to commemorate the Hungarian Revolution of 1848. Organized by the United Hungarian Societies, the program began with the singing of the American and Hungarian national anthems, accompanied by Marton Tamasy on the organ.
The opening prayer was given by the Rev. Eva Tamasy of the West Side Hungarian Lutheran Church. The keynote address was presented by the Rev. Thomas G. Forrai, SJ, Provincial of the Hungarian Jesuit Province. The afternoon’s program was hosted by Hanna Szentkiralyi, assistant troop leader of Hungarian Girl Scout Troop 34 and the representative of the World Federation of Hungarian Veterans, Cleveland Chapter. Among those performing at the commemoration were the Little Hungarian Chorus, the First Hungarian Reformed Church Sunday School students, the West Side Hungarian Reformed Church Youth Group members, and the girl scouts from Troop 34.
Sandor Petofi’s “National Song” was expertly recited by Julian Balassy of Hungarian Boy Scout Troop 14 and a 5th grade student in the Cleveland Hungarian School. The Rev. Dr. Csaba Krasznai of the First Hungarian Reformed Church gave the closing prayer and the singing of the Szekler Hymn by all those attending finished a most memorable afternoon. Pastries and coffee awaited all those in attendance in the church’s large hall.