A commemoration of Hungary’s 1956 revolution was organized by Cleveland’s United Hungarian Societies with the cooperation of the West Side Hungarian Evangelical Church at 2 p.m. on October 25, 2015 at the West Side Hungarian Reformed Church’s Bethlen Hall. The program was moderated by Aladar Solymosi, an adult scout and representative of the West Side Hungarian Reformed Church.
The program began with the singing of the Szekler Hymn. Miklos Peller, organist from St. Emeric Roman Catholic Church, accompanied those in attendance on the piano. The Rev. Eva Tamasy, pastor of the West Side Hungarian Evangelical Church, opened the program with a prayer. The Kis Magyar Choir, directed by Judit Simon-Vasarhelyi performed songs for the occasion. The chorus was accompanied by Adam Torok-Dancso, an intern from Hungary, who at various times played the zither, recorder, and violin.
Also performing were the students from the West Side Evangelical Church’s Hungarian School, members of Hungarian Girl Scout Troop 34, and Edina Leitgeb presented a famous Hungarian poem for the occasion.
The keynote address was given by Dr. Imre Szakacs the Diaspora Liaison from the Hungarian Consul General’s office in New York. Fr. Andras Mezei, pastor of St. Emeric Roman Catholic Church gave the closing prayer and the program concluded with all in attendance singing the Hungarian National Anthem. Desserts, coffee and refreshments were enjoyed afterwards by the 200 people in attendance.